Friday, January 27, 2012

Hottentotta Communal setup

This is my hottentota communal setup,not sure about the exact type because this genus is very diverse. The seller just told me that this is a "congo alligator back"

This is my last attempt for a communal experiment with this genus because cannibalism always takes place on every molts/stage. At this point they are all 100% mature specimens, all of them already gave birth so they are all on thier final molt stage and assume to never molt again or rather molt once a year

I keep the food and water dish abundant to prevent cannibalism and desication, I used brown sand and keep them dry

This genus is also very easy to keep .I keep the scorplings on a small deli cup and punch holes for ventilation ,humidity at around 65% .I use dry coco peat as substrate . I dont put water dish for scorplings because they tend to drown even on a bottlecap . Being a desert specimen I know that they can get hydration from the food that they eat and give them water by misting them using an atomizer



Heres a short video that I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPE57yzfG3Q


On the video you will notice that a scorpling drowned on a very small amount of water on that bottlecap















1 comment: